Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Personal Educational Philosophy

PERSONAL EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY




                Personal Educational Philosophy is really something Greek[1] to me till before the course on Philosophy of Education. At once it wonder struck me and made me to philosophize, reflect and wonder as to what is my educational philosophy? After my own reflection and the guidelines of the professor, the educational philosophy that I arrived at is this:
                I arrived at my educational philosophy not as inheritance but as the gift of my own heart and mind through reflection inside me and outside me.  The nature of human being is according to me is fragile and so always needs care, support, instruction and guidance. I very much believe this comes from education.[2]  Education is needed to make human being a person, a person of integrity with prudence to choose between right and wrong. In the process human being recognizes in him a person. It becomes pointless and meaningless when an educated person is not sensitive to the needs of the people. It becomes a hidden treasure when it is not shared.
                There is nothing called what counts as successful teaching. There are no successful teachers. Only fruitful teachers whose intention to give and instill in the values of life in the learner at no cost by their exemplary and simple life not only in the academic premises but everywhere all the time gives fruitfulness in the life of educator. This requires a healthy relationship between an educator and a learner. Educator sees to that the learner is taught with care and love and in turn the learner must accept teachings with the same care and love of the educator. It is not superior and inferior relationship but a relationship that exists between a mother and a son. The student should see in the educator a loving mother whose love makes the learner to do everything out of love and joy.
                The curriculum according to me must not only be subject oriented which is bare minimum but also must be bringing the learner in a holistic perspective the perspective that not only makes the learner live in the world but helps to cope up with the world. In other words, it is educating the learner to life. The learning happens in the learner through communication. It is only through language[3] that knowledge is passed from one to another. The only method that I use in imparting knowledge is the method of emptying.[4]
                In the process of teaching and learning both the educator and learner are beneficiaries. It is not one way but mutual. As for my experience goes this is very natural.[5] The wall between teacher and student collapses when there is realization that educator is both a teacher and a student and that a learner is both a student and teacher.
                This is in gist my educational philosophy in which I believe strongly because it is the fruit of my own reflection and philosophizing. It may not be perfect but a perfect from my own point of view.


                [1] Greek would mean not thought about it.
                [2] Education as for me is getting degree (secondary) plus commonsense (primary). It is not only the property of the schools but also of family, street, shop and every place of that human being dwells.
                [3] For me language is both oral and verbal.
                [4] The method of emptying means giving out everything without keeping inside me.
                [5] Last year I was teaching in a school where I experienced that even the students can teach me in their own and limited way irrespective of their age and class.

No comments:

Post a Comment